- The Surrealist movement started in Europe in the 1920’s.
- World War I scattered the writers and artists who had been based in Paris, and in the interim many became involved with Dada, believing that excessive rational thought and bourgeois values had brought the conflict of the war upon the world. The Dadaists protested with anti-art gatherings, performances, writings and art works.
- They were strongly influenced by Sigmund Freud and his theories about the unconscious.
- During the war, Andre Breton, who had trained in medicine and psychiatry, served in a neurological hospital where he used Sigmund Freud’s psychoanalytic methods with soldiers suffering from shell-shock.
- My favorite surrealism artists are Rene Magritte and Salvador Dali. Because I don’t know about other artists well.
- I drew automated drawing today, It was so easy. I found shapes of an elephant and a snail. It was fun. I didn’t need to think during the drawing.
- Also I made my own creature. I gave name to it ‘Goo the gi’. It sounds cute.